Monday, January 31, 2011

PAGES TORN FROM A TRAVEL JOURNAL by Edward Lee



I had the pleasure of reading a few of Edward Lee’s books this past year, but I had not read any of his Lovecraftian books until I read Pages Torn from a Travel Journal. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect going into this one, but based on other books I’ve read by Edward Lee, I had a feeling there would be plenty of sex, violence, and quality writing. Needless to say, I wasn’t disappointed.

It’s a hot summer day in the mountains of Virginia during the Great Depression. A bus travelling through the area breaks down and all the passengers disembark. Soon they learn they are stranded in this remote backwoods area for the night. Some decide to go stay at an over-priced hotel. Some decide to sleep on the bus. But three—Howard, Nate the mechanic, and the bus driver—have the good fortune to attend the nearby O’Slaughnassey’s Travelling Show. Approaching the carnival with eager expectations, the night quickly descends into madness, mayhem, and the macabre. Howard’s fantastical writings have not prepared him for the weirdness he is about to encounter this night.

The book is written as journal entries from the main character’s point of view. While the main character is only identified as “Howard,” there is no doubt he is none other than H.P. Lovecraft. Written in a style similar to the real-life Lovecraft, this book had me turning the pages late into the night. While Lee’s books are definitely not for everyone, this book is a treat for his fans. The description on the product page is spot-on: “A novella of the most debauched, degenerate evil.” This one is full of sex, violence, and the weird. I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Pages Torn from a Travel Journal is a limited edition release of 300 signed and number copies from Bloodletting Press. It’s a must-have for any Edward Lee fan.

1 comment:

Lee Thompson/Thomas Morgan/James Logan/Julian Vaughn said...

Very cool, man. I'm going to snag this one up at some point this year. Then I just have to find time to read it! :P