Monday, January 10, 2011

AS I EMBRACE MY JAGGED EDGES by Lee Thompson


Lee Thompson* first sold his stories this past year and his work has appeared in a number of places. His novelette, As I Embrace My Jagged Edges from Sideshow Press, is the first of his work that I’ve read. I went into this one not knowing what to expect but came away with my mouth hanging open.

Boaz’s family has a legacy to uphold. They are the latest in a long line of those entrusted to protect a sacred relic: a bronze shard from the fabled Temple of Solomon. Constantly moving around, they never settle in one place for long and are always in danger from those who want to get their hands on the powerful relic. One day Boaz’s uncle, Jack, is found dead with his throat sliced open. Not only have they been discovered, but the one person who understands and accepts Boaz is dead. Now Boaz must face not only his inner turmoil alone, but he also must make a stand against the dark forces seeking the shard.

I was amazed to find that I could be so affected by such a small work of fiction. Thompson’s writing can only be described as beautiful, passionate, and emotional. Though he just recently began selling his work, his writing displays a maturity of a much more seasoned author. He crafted a truly engaging story that left this reader wanting more. Keep an eye on Lee Thompson; he has a bright future and will be an author to be reckoned with.

Reminiscent of Tom Piccirilli’s style, if you enjoy a raw, put-it-all-out-there type of storytelling, As I Embrace My Jagged Edges is for you. Also available from Thompson is Before Leonora Wakes.

*Thompson is a co-reviewer for The Bag and The Crow with me.

3 comments:

Lee Thompson/Thomas Morgan/James Logan/Julian Vaughn said...

Thanks for the read and review, Neal! Glad you enjoyed it so much. And funny that you mention Piccirilli. He's one of my favorite writers and someone I think everyone should read. LOl.

Mucho appreciated!

Lee

Author Scott Nicholson said...

Hmm this looks very interesting!

Scott

Lee Thompson/Thomas Morgan/James Logan/Julian Vaughn said...

I hope you dig it if you pick it up, Scott!