Monday, November 29, 2010

THE PACK: WINTER KILL by Mike Oliveri



I’d wanted to get a copy of Mike Oliveri’s The Pack: Winter Kill since last year. At first, it was released in paperback and for one reason or another I didn’t get around to purchasing it. Then it came out for the Kindle, but it was priced at $9.99 and I decided to hold off on getting it. However, when Evileye Books marked it down to $4.99 for the holiday season, I snatched a copy for my Kindle. I had high expectations for this book based on the buzz I had read about it, and I was not disappointed.

Set in the remote wilderness of Minnesota, The Pack: Winter Kill starts out with a weapons deal gone wrong. After things go south, Rod and his crew are stuck in the middle of nowhere and are forced to blend in with the locals. They stumble upon a lodge caught up with Bigfoot fever and decide to stay until they can get things back in order. However, when the FBI arrives, things get tenuous. Determined to finish the deal, Rod pushes forward despite the heat from the authorities—and other things.

The Pack: Winter Kill grabbed me from the beginning and I literally could not put this one down. Oliveri’s writing is tight and fast-paced, hurling the reader along to the climatic ending. He masterfully blends crime and suspense with the supernatural. This is the first book in an on-going series, and I’m eagerly anticipating the next one. There are a few typos throughout the Kindle edition, but they are minor and don’t distract from the story.

Priced at an affordable $4.99 for the holiday season, this one is a must-read for anyone wanting a story full of action and suspense told at break-neck speed.

5 out of 5 stars.

No comments: