Thursday, November 4, 2010

DEAD EARTH: THE GREEN DAWN by Mark Justice and David T. Wilbanks


Zombies. I’m not going to lie; I have a soft spot in my heart for these munchers of the flesh. Ever since I read Joe McKinney’s Dead City a year and a half ago, I’ve had an ongoing love affair with the walking dead. However, in recent months, I haven’t read any books about zombies. In reality, recently I’ve read very little that is pure horror, which is my first love. So when I picked up Dead Earth: The Green Dawn by Mark Justice and David T. Wilbanks, I was a little bit excited because it sounded like something that would be right up my alley. And boy, I was not disappointed in the least.


When I started reading The Green Dawn, it felt like I was slipping into familiar surroundings where I knew I’d be at home. The story focuses on one individual, Deputy Jubal Slate. He’s responsible, alone, for the safety of the small town of Serenity, New Mexico, after many folks have taken ill with a strange virus. Those affected include his mother, the sheriff, and his fellow deputies. But Jubal is not overly concerned, as Serenity is normally a quiet little town that can pretty much take care of itself. However, as the day moves along, Jubal becomes more and more concerned because rumors of tragedy in Nevada begin to spread.


When a mysterious car blazes into town and drops off an extremely ill stranger, things move from the realm of uncertainty to the realm of dire circumstances. To put it kindly, all hell breaks loose in the town of Serenity. And Jubal Slate, the lone remaining vestige of law and order, has to fight for the survival of the town and those he loves.


Normally, I’m a little hesitant when it comes to collaborations. I worry that styles will clash or the story will be disjointed. But there was no such thing in The Green Dawn. The writing flows wonderfully and the story moves at breakneck speed. There is a nice little twist as to the cause of the chaos, and the book leaves you wanting more.


I honestly haven't had this much fun reading a book in a good while. If you want a fast, exciting read then The Green Dawn is for you. This book is the first in a larger series, so don’t expect to get all the answers at the end of it. And beware if you’re squeamish; there is violence, blood, and guts in this book.


5 out of 5 stars.

No comments: