Tuesday, November 2, 2010

HUDSON HOUSE by J.T. Warren


Hudson House by J.T. Warren has the distinction of being the first book I bought when my new Kindle arrived. Based on other reviews, I looked forward to reading this book, hoping for a creepy, interesting story. I was pleased to find that I wasn’t disappointed.

Three young friends enter a forbidden—some would say forsaken—house that has long stood watching over an otherwise quiet neighborhood. This seemingly benign act sets into motion events that will affect the rest of these boys’ lives. Death and tragedy follow and one of the young men, Eric, struggles to find answers and to ultimately put a stop to Hudson House’s reign of terror in his life. However, the deeper Eric digs for the answers he seeks, the more he discovers about his own past. And he doesn’t like what he finds. Can he find the determination and strength to stand up to Hudson House and whatever dwells inside its walls?

Warren is a talented writer and can weave an interesting story. There are some creepy situations throughout this book, and one in particular will probably stick with me for a long time (I won’t give it away, but let’s just say I won’t be carrying around a plastic baggie in my pocket). The story flowed fairly well, with a bit of a lull in the middle of the book. But the last 25% of the book made up for it, as I couldn’t put it down because I wanted to find out what happened. I’ll definitely read other works by Warren as I come across them.

4 out of 5 stars.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds like a very interesting book. I want to know about that baggie. I rack my brain and can't think of how it would be scary, other than suffocating! I wish I read faster, so I could do this too. Thank you for the great review. I'm glad it picked up toward the end for you.

Bookhound78 said...

Let's say that it's not the baggie itself, it's what is carried in the baggie that really creeps me out. :)

And thank you for the kind words.

-Neal