Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Top Ten Books I Read In 2009

Since we are drawing to the close of yet another year, it is the time to compile lists of a wide variety things from the past year. Since my passion is reading, I am going to make a top ten list of books. But I didn't read ten books that were published in 2009; instead, I read 46 books (as of the time this is written), most of them older titles. So, instead of a top ten of 2009 published books, I am going to make a top ten of the books that I did read this year. Without further ado, here is my top ten list, in no particular order:

Top Ten Books I Read in 2009

1. 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King. This is one of my favorite King books. It is an interesting vampire story, and no one can tell a story like Stephen King. Definitely a classic.

2. Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi. I don't read too much in the way of nonfiction, but this was an enthralling book. Very fascinating topic, giving a behind the scenes look at the Manson investigation. Still amazes me that a man like Manson could wield that much power over other people.

3. On Writing by Stephen King. Wonderful memoir by King about how he approaches his craft. A must read for anyone interested in writing. Not a technical treatment, but more of an informal look at writing.

4. Bad Moon Rising by Jonathan Maberry. This is the exciting conclusion to the Pine Deep trilogy. Maberry has a unique talent to tell a story, and this trilogy does not disappoint.

5. The Rising by Brian Keene. Groundbreaking take on the zombie genre. Keene reinvented and rejuvenated the zombie as we know it. Excellent story and a very good starting point to Keene's work.

6. The Farm by Scott Nicholson. Nicholson is one of my favorite storytellers, and maybe I am a little partial to him because he is a local author. The blurb on the back of the book makes this story sound far-fetched, but this is a very entertaining read.

7. The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum. This was my first book by Ketchum. It is a disturbing story that probably is not for everyone, but this one hooked me as a Ketchum fan.

8. The Conquerer Worms by Brian Keene. Again, Keene delivers with a fresh and unique story. I was hesitant to read this one, based on the cover art of the book (yes, that is very superficial) and the premise, but this is probably my favorite of Keene's work that I have read thus far.

9. In The Dark by Richard Laymon. Laymon is a master, in my humble opinion. This is a story that truly creeped me out and had me looking over my shoulder. If you have not read any Laymon, you need to!!!

10. The Resurrectionist by Wrath James White. This is a book that made me squirm and left certain images imprinted on my mind for life. I am a huge fan of White, and would highly recommend him to everyone, although I suspect everyone would not be able to handle his work.

Here are a few that just narrowly missed my list: The Cellar by Richard Laymon, The Stand by Stephen King, City Of The Dead by Brian Keene, Afraid by Jack Kilborn, and The Reader by Bernhard Schlink.

No comments: