Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Must Read

I want to start off this entry by saying that I don't see myself as witty, nor do I feel I wax eloquent with words. So, when I talk about my "must read", please forgive me if I don't move you with my description of the work. Just take my word for it. This book is a must read.

The book I am referring to is The Little Sleep by Paul Tremblay. I finished this book in the wee hours of this morning, and I must say I was blown away. I know, I know, you are probably thinking that I am over-hyping this book and that it can't really be that good. But trust me, it is that good!

In The Little Sleep, we are introduced to Boston Private Investigator, Mark Genevich. However, there is one thing that greatly handicaps him in his line of work: he is a narcoleptic. In this book, we are introduced to one of the most interesting and likeable characters I have ever come across. This novel offers intrigue, wit, humor, and very smooth prose throughout its entirety. It flowed wonderfully, and I could not find any awkward moments or transitions. And just when you think it is all fun and games, the mood turns dark and the story takes an intriguing turn.

Paul Tremblay definitely demonstrates a tremendous talent with this book. I am eagerly anticipating the follow-up to this book, No Sleep Till Wonderland coming out this February. I will also be seeking out Tremblay's earlier works as well. As I stated at the beginning of this post, I feel I lack the words or the eloquence to do this book justice. However, it is one of the best overall works that I have read, and I would recommend it to anyone. Trust me. Just read the book.

1 comment:

Bob said...

Tremblay is a kick ass writer. I've got The Little Sleep coming up for a future read, but everything I've read of his before has struck a nerve. Not only that, but the man himself is a great, down to earth guy with an evil sense of humor.